Immune-Boosting Turmeric Broth
This recipe is pretty magical. It's become a standard breakfast broth in our lives. It's amazing if you're on the verge of getting sick, too. Packed with immune-boosting ingredients, it's an easy broth that can be used as a base for noodles, squash, or other vegetables. The recipe bellow is a mash-up between our founder Tessa's morning broth and Golubka Kitchen's "No Recipe Healing Soup."
Ingredients for broth:
- 1 piece of kombu, 4-6" strip
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1" piece of ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 10-12 cups of water
- black pepper, to taste
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- 2 Tablespoons of miso
- Sweet potato or carrots, roasted
- Soba noodles, cooked
- Greens, like kale, bok choy, or chard
- Sriracha or garlic sriracha
1) Place kombu in a medium-size pot with room temperature water and let soak for 30 minutes.
2) Add all broth ingredients to pot, except black pepper, lemon juice, and miso. If using root vegetables or mushrooms, include those. Bring to boil. Remove kombu and simmer remaining ingredients for 15 min.
2) If you are including soba noodles, add them to a rolling boil for 4-5 minutes.
3) Turn off heat, add any greens you are including. Let sit in hot broth for 2-3 minutes to wilt.
4) Combine about 1 ladleful of the hot broth with the miso in a small bowl and mix until the miso is incorporated. Mix the miso broth into the soup.
5) Add sriracha, salt and pepper if you like. Squeeze in lemon juice and enjoy!
Photo credit: Golubka Kitchen