Furikake on Avocado Halves
We love the Japanese spice mixture Furikake -- and use it on rice, avocados, eggs ... basically anything that could take an umami kick. This recipe uses bonito and sugar, but furkikake can easily be made vegan or sugar-free. Feel free to experiment! This mixture can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 4 weeks.
- 2 T. nori flakes
- 2 T. bonito flakes
- 2 T. flax seeds
- 2 T. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. sugar
- 1 avocado (for tasting!)
- olive oil (for drizzling)
1. Combine nori, bonito flakes, and flax seeds in a food processor and pulse till flaxseeds are crushed.
2. Transfer to bowl and add sesame seeds, salt, and sugar.
3. Sprinkle on avocado halves and drizzle with olive oil.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine. Photo credit John Kernick.